System Message:

Australian Immigration Daily News

Breaking Australian immigration news brought to you by Migration Alliance and associated bloggers. Please email help@migrationalliance.com.au

  • Home
    Home This is where you can find all the blog posts throughout the site.
  • Categories
    Categories Displays a list of categories from this blog.
  • Tags
    Tags Displays a list of tags that have been used in the blog.
  • Bloggers
    Bloggers Search for your favorite blogger from this site.
  • Team Blogs
    Team Blogs Find your favorite team blogs here.
  • Login
    Login Login form
Posted by on in General
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Hits: 6303
  • 21 Comments

MIA Notice About Partner Visas Has Potential to Cause Needless Uproar and Upset

It has come to the attention of Migration Alliance that the Migration Institute of Australia has issued a “MIA Notice” – No. 86: 17 November 2017 concerning a new Legislative Instrument concerning the “Arrangements for Partner and Prospective Marriage Visa Applications” – IMMI 17/101, dated 16 November 2017 – that has the potential to cause panic, distress, alarm and uproar among Registered Migration Agents and their clients!! 

See the MIA notice below.

And so far, despite our best efforts, we have not been able to confirm at all what the MIA has said.

So it is at least possible that the MIA Notice may be causing completely unnecessary worry and concern.

Here’s the story:

The new Legislative Instrument that was made by the Minister essentially provides that after 18 November, all categories of partner visa applications must be made as internet applications, through ImmiAccount. The Instrument contemplates that there may be exceptions in circumstances where the applicant is “authorized to use form 47SP, in accordance with directions from the Department”.

However, the MIA Notice goes much further than this, and says as follows:

“The following policy will be applied to applications lodged before and after 18 November 2017 and not finally decided:

*Undocumented or poorly documented applications lodged by RMAs, eg applications that only meet the basic Schedule 1 requirements for lodging a valid application, may be refused without notice and without requests for further information.

* Where natural justice letters have been sent to RMA, no follow up or subsequent reminders will be sent. The Department will decide the application on the information before it, unless an extension of time has been requested and granted.

* For applications lodged prior to 18 November 2017, the Department will provide only ONE opportunity to submit additional information and/or documents or respond to a natural justice letter.”

The Notice form the MIA can be found at this link.

After this Notice was brought to our attention (thanks to William Levingston of Christopher Levingston and Associates) we made urgent efforts to attempt to confirm the accuracy of the contents of the MIA Notice, by reviewing the Legislative Instrument, Department policy (PAM3) and the Department’s Website.

At this stage we have not been able to find anything in these sources which would confirm that what is said in the MIA Notice, which suggests that the Department will be implementing a policy which will result in the “summary” rejection of partner visa applications that are considered to be “poorly supported”, and that the Department will be curtailing opportunities to provide evidence and submissions in reply to “natural justice” letters from the Department.

As far as we can tell, there doesn’t seem to be any basis to what the MIA has said in its Notice.

If anyone reading this can bring tour attention any material which would confirm what the MIA has said about these purported policy approaches by the Department concerning partner visa applications, we would be grateful.

MIA-partner-notice.jpg

The MIA's notice No. 86.

Last modified on
Rate this blog entry:
5

Comments

  • Guest
    Libby hogarth Monday, 27 November 2017

    So what has MA done about this matter? And how many individual Migration agents have raised their objections to DIBP and the Minister?

Leave your comment

Guest Friday, 04 April 2025
Joomla SEF URLs by Artio

Immigration blog

Bizcover Banner
Migration Amendment for UK Armed Forces Personnel
The Migration Amendment (Status of Forces Agreemen...
Continue Reading...
Cancellation of Registration for Migration Agent for 5 years
The Office of the Migration Agents Registration Au...
Continue Reading...
Understanding Workplace Rights for Visa Holders in Australia
The Workplace Rights Guide provides essential info...
Continue Reading...
Increased Income Thresholds for Skilled Visas from 1 July 2025
Starting from 1 July 2025, skilled visa income thr...
Continue Reading...
RMA Activity Report: January - June 2024
The Migration Agent Activity Report for January to...
Continue Reading...